Tuesday, December 20, 2011

It won't be the same this year.....

I've been struggling with getting into the Christmas spirit this year because everything about Christmas reminds me of Marianne. Ever since I was 8 years old and she went away to college I was always so excited for Christmas because it meant that I could be with her again. Every Christmas of my life, other than the one when I was on my mission in New York, I have spent with my sister. The other day I was making dinner and decided to put on a Christmas CD that Marianne used to listen to. I always thought everything Marianne had was just the best and coolest thing, so of course I went and bought a copy also. Everything was going along fine until the last song came on. I never had really listened to the words before, but as I listened, it totally summed up how I've been feeling. It's called "It won't be the same this year" and talks about how difficult Christmas can be when you miss the ones who have passed away. As I listened to the chorus..."All the stockings are hung, Silent Night has been sung, Christmas is finally here....it won't be the same this year," the floodgates opened because it was exactly how I was feeling.


This advent calendar is so special to me because Marianne and I made it together.  We spent so many fun weekends together while I was at BYU making the little ornaments.  When it came time to make the actual wall hanging, Marianne guided me through each step, showing me where to cut the fabric and what pieces to sew together.  When it was all pieced together, I held it up, so excited to see the finished masterpiece only to discover that for some reason it was crooked and looked horrible.  In frustration, I wadded it up in a ball and said there was no way I was going to take all the stitches out and redo it.  I never really thought about it again, but how surprised I was the Christmas I got home from my mission, to see that Marianne had done just that.  She's taken it all apart and redone it and finished it for me.  Usually this is the very first thing that goes on my wall once December hits, but this year I just couldn't bear to bring it out...too many memories that would just make me sad.  Finally, into the second week of December I realized that Marianne wouldn't want me to leave it in the closet.  She would want me to enjoy it, so on the wall it went even though it opened the floodgates once again.

People say this gets easier, and I'm sure it will.  I'm so grateful for my precious little ones, for my family and everyone who I hold dear that I hold to a little tighter now, knowing just how precious life truly is.  The birth of the Savior has added significance in my life this year also, for it is through Him that I know I will be with my dear sister again. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written, Emily. How wonderful you have such sweet memories even if they tug at your heart...

Ali said...

This is a wonderful post. I've thought of your family often this Christmas season, as I always do, but it's a little different this year. Christmas holds so many memories of Marianne for me as well. I know it's been some years since our Christmas Eves together but I loved them and miss them. Seeing this beautiful piece she finished off for you makes me smile as well as tugs a bit at my heart. So many of our own Christmas decorations have Marianne's special touch to them and we just loved her sharing that talent with us. She was remarkable and I like having some physical things to remind me of her. Have a very Merry Christmas. My prayers are with you and your family and it is so wonderful to ponder the true meaning of Christmas a bit more this year.

Beanie said...

My heart aches for you and it makes me appreciate my sisters all that much more. Please know I am here for you if you ever have a need for a liatening ear!

BethNoel said...

It's a heartbreak and I can't imagine how you are feeling, especially this time of year. I think your ability to write about Marianne is amazing. Your words are always so sweet and thoughtful and it helps us all to know her just a little better. I think she was always your angel. I hope you know that you are loved, by so very many people and I am thinking about you always.

Shauna said...

I am so sorry Emily to hear of your loss. What a wonderful person you are and what a special person your sister was. I wish I could give you a big hug right now, but know I am thinking of you and your family this Christmas Season. May God's love fill your hearts and souls. Please give my cute Jordan a big hug for me as well. Take care and God Bless your family!

Heather Adams said...

Emily-

Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers this Christmas. I know it will be new and hard and different. I pray that Marianne's spirit will be close and that you will be able to know she's near.

Much love
Heather